The many wadis of the Gilf Kebir area are very diverse.
Hamra is in fact the Arabic word for red. Wadi Hamra penetrates deep into the cliffs of the Gilf from the north east and splits into three separate valleys. The red sand is set off by the dramatic black backdrop of the cliffs.
Wadi Abd al-Malik
The Valley of the Servant of the King- contains rock art and splashes of green from hardy acacia trees.
Still contains remnants of cars and trucks probably used by the Long Range Desert Group. An abandoned WW2 army truck fully loaded with explosives was driven out of this valley in 1992, more than 40 years after it was left there. It was then displayed at the Al Alamein Museum.
The Valley of Luck- was visited by Bagnold in 1938 and was found to be blocked by a 30m high dune that had once acted as a dam for an ancient lake. Due to the presence of water there are many signs of ancient human habitation in this valley.
Winds its way confusingly through the southernmost tip of the Gilf and contains many branches. One of the major side valleys is the Valley of the Green Earth Wadi al-Ard al –Khadra which also shows signs of human presence in the ancient past and evidence that it was once the site of a dam.